Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Why Follow Jesus - First Reflections

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matthew 4:19 ESV)

This “Easter” season I began to reflect on what is there that attracts me to the person of Messiah Jesus? Why should I, or anyone commit ourselves to Jesus of Nazareth as our personal Messiah? This is a basic question and yet one which is at the heart of every other aspect of our Christian life.

This is the foundation of our Christian existence and practice. Having a good solid reason for following Jesus, liking Jesus, admiring Jesus, and loving Jesus is critical since without such a reason and experience then nothing else in my Christian life or the Christian life of others is very likely to really work. What is there about Jesus of Nazareth that should capture my heart?

As I mused about this issue I came up with seven centers of focus that can help us to become attracted to Jesus of Nazareth and from which we may gain an increasing faith in Him as our Messiah. The seven focal points for me in seeking to be drawn to Messiah Jesus are:

1. His fulfillment of specific Messianic prophecies.
2. His teachings
3. His miracles
4. His life
5. His suffering for the sins of His people
6. His resurrection form the dead
7. His existential offer of acceptance, fellowship and salvation

Each of these produces a different point of reference through which the Messiah Jesus can be perceived and admired. Each one has its own particular impact on our thinking and affections towards Jesus of Nazareth. Each is needed to get a full understanding of who our Lord Jesus is.

His fulfillment of specific Messianic prophecies.

The New Testament takes for granted that we will be looking for a Messiah. It assumes we know we need a Savior. It presents Jesus of Nazareth as the “answer” to a “problem”. Yet, many of us today in the modern world do not come to the gospels looking for an answer. Because of this it is hard for us to always appreciate exactly what the gospels are offering as they present their pictures of Messiah Jesus.

It has hit me that one of the things that caused me to become a believer in Messiah Jesus was that I began my study of the Bible in Matthew and not in Leviticus. I do not think I would have been attracted to follow the God of the temple unless I had first had come to be attracted to Jesus of Nazareth. His acceptance of temple and Moses allowed me to accept them. My faith in the Hebrew Bible, what we normally call the Old Testament, is based on my faith in Jesus to be the authoritative prophetic representative from God and not the other way around. Beginning my reading of the Bible in Matthew instead of Genesis really helped me to have faith.

However, with this being said, one's understanding of Jesus of Nazareth as Messiah or Christ can only really make sense in the context of the prophecies of the Old Testament. It is this “problem” that needs to be understood and accepted which them makes the gospels presentation of Jesus of Nazareth as the solution to that problem so impressive. Without this background then the appearance of Messiah Jesus is a lot less awesome and inspiring. For instance the gospel of Mark begins with these words:


The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. As it is written in Isaiah the prophet, "Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way, the voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight,'" (Mark 1:1-3 ESV)

In Isaiah, the prophet (en tōi Esaiāi tōi prophētēi). The quotation comes from Malachi 3:1 and Isaiah 40:3. The Western and Neutral family of Greek documents read “Isaiah”, the Alexandrian and Syrian, “the prophets,” which some believe was a correction made by a latter scribe because part of it is from Malachi. Most modern translations read “Isaiah” while the New King James reads “prophets”

If Mark wrote “Isaiah” instead of prophets no error occurred. Isaiah is mentioned as the chief of the prophets. It was common to combine quotations from the prophets in chains of quotations. The ancient world did not foot note in the same way we do today. It therefore is not a reasonable expectation to think that Mark would footnote his gospel in a manner different than other authors of his day.

But here we find that Mark links the appearing of Jesus of Nazareth with the coming of the “Lord” into history. John the Baptist is seen as being the fulfillment of prophecies of one who would come to prepare the way for the appearing of God into the history of humanity. The “Lord” was coming! This was part of the hope of Messiah. To understand Jesus as the Messiah we must understand the need of a Messiah and what this hope was all about. If we do not do this then the very name “Jesus Christ” has lost it real meaning.

I plan over the next few weeks to continue my musings along these lines. I believe that this train of thought will help me grow in faith. I hope it may cause others to grow in faith. Growing in faith is really all that is vital. For the just shall live by faith in Messiah Jesus.

The question I would ask today is:

What most attracts you to follow Jesus as Lord of your life today?

Has it always been that same quality or at different times did various aspects of Jesus of Nazareth impact you?

Why do you think different aspects of Christ attract us at different times?

How do you think you could become more attracted to the Lord Jesus today?

These are questions worth considering.

No comments: