Thursday, September 04, 2008

Beware Bad Company

Devotions

Reading

NLT Psalm 26:1 A psalm of David. Declare me innocent, O LORD, for I have acted with integrity; I have trusted in the LORD without wavering. 2 Put me on trial, LORD, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and affections. 3 For I am constantly aware of your unfailing love, and I have lived according to your truth. 4 I do not spend time with liars or go along with hypocrites. 5 I hate the gatherings of those who do evil, and I refuse to join in with the wicked. 6 I wash my hands to declare my innocence. I come to your altar, O LORD, 7 singing a song of thanksgiving and telling of all your miracles. 8 I love your sanctuary, LORD, the place where your glory shines.

Meditation

Literal: Here we have the Psalmist declaring that he has had sincere faith in the LORD without wavering from his reliance on God’s promises. This is what he means by being “innocent”. He is innocent of lacking trust or losing faith in God’s promises of redemption through the Messiah. Now part of all sincere faith would be the confession of sins and dependence on the blood which was shed on the altar for sin.

He is so sure of his unwavering faith that he asks the LORD to put him on trial and cross examine his inner motivations and passions. He believes that he is pure of heart. He has no doubt in his sincerity.

The focus of the psalmist faith is the faithful covenant love of the LORD which is promised to all who live by faith in God’s revelation given to the people of Israel. The content of faith is defined by the scriptures. The psalmist declares he trust in the revelation of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as given through Moses. Faith must always have content.

The psalmist knows that “bad company ruins good morals” and therefore has avoided people who are not sincere in their faith and live by a double standard. He does not make his best friends those who speak about God but whose hearts are far from the LORD. When people get together to plan to get into trouble, the psalmist is sure, to avoid such social gatherings. He does not become part of “the crowd” but keeps himself out of compromising circumstances.

Instead of this the psalmist seeks out those who gather to worship. He ceremonially washes his hands to demonstrate his desire to be pure and focuses on the altar where blood sacrifice is made to pay for sins. He sings praises to the LORD and reminds himself of God’s grand narrative by declaring the mighty and wonderful deeds of the Lord in history to redeem His people. The psalmist knows that only by drawing near to God and seeking a vision of His awesome character, love, and faithful redemption can he avoid becoming part of the rebellious world system.

Christocentric: The one person who would be truly innocent was Jesus. His faithfulness was 100% and while coming to be a friend of sinners never allowed this friendship to lead him away from God. He is the one totally righteous son of David and King of Israel. He is the only one if put on trail would really pass the test of God’s holy judgment. It is because of this total purity that He could die for our sins and pay the price of our transgressions.

Moral: Do not love the world system based on unbelief and rebellion but seek the scriptures and the fellowship of those who sincerely worship God that you might believe and remain faithful.

Eternal: One day we will spend forever free from the presence of evil and face to face with God’s wonderful and awesome glory. We will be filled with a Spirit of worship, praise, and thanksgiving. Then our eyes will see all the wonders that God has performed and we willed be overwhelmed with admiration for the LORD.


Prayer: Lord, open my eyes to your glory and the wonder of all your works. Give to me a spirit of praise and thanksgiving. Teach me to worship you in spirit and truth.

Contemplation: Guard you heart against the influence of the ungodly culture

Action: What relationships draw me away from my love for God? What relationships draw me closer to the LORD? Who encourages me to be less godly? Who encourages me to be godlier? How can I seek the LORD today?

No comments: