Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Don't let the fear of people keep you from doing right!

Devotions

Reading

NLT Jeremiah 15:15 Then I said, "LORD, you know I am suffering for your sake. Punish my persecutors! Don't let them kill me! Be merciful to me and give them what they deserve! 16 Your words are what sustain me. They bring me great joy and are my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty. 17 I never joined the people in their merry feasts. I sat alone because your hand was on me. I burst with indignation at their sins. 18 Why then does my suffering continue? Why is my wound so incurable? Your help seems as uncertain as a seasonal brook. It is like a spring that has gone dry." 19 The LORD replied, "If you return to me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve me. If you speak words that are worthy, you will be my spokesman. You are to influence them; do not let them influence you! 20 They will fight against you like an attacking army, but I will make you as secure as a fortified wall. They will not conquer you, for I will protect and deliver you. I, the LORD, have spoken! 21 Yes, I will certainly keep you safe from these wicked men. I will rescue you from their cruel hands."

Meditation

Literal:

We have more psychological insight into Jeremiah than any biblical character outside of Job or Solomon in the book of Ecclesiastes. Jeremiah will suffer abuse. He will be abandoned and rejected by everyone. He will be verbally, emotionally, and physically abused for answering God’s call to be a prophet and give an unpopular message. He will have to say “Israel will lose” to be faithful to God. His great love for His nation and people will be questioned because he dares question their national morality and piety. In the midst of this abuse, it does not seem to him that God is protecting him by brining his worst persecutors to judgment.

Jeremiah loved God’s word and this was his strength. He hated sin and this was his grief. His hatred of sin led to isolation from the “parties” of his time which were prone to abuse of alcohol and sex as “parties” in all generations are prone. He also felt that the people were ignoring the real crisis they were in. He alone was mourning over the nation’s fall into idolatry and immorality. His heart was broken. How could they not all be weeping? In the midst of this Jeremiah is feeling God’s presence and help is distant. He is the servant of the LORD, yet he feels abandoned even by God.

The LORD speaks to him in this time of intense prayer and struggle. He tells him that he need to turn back to receive the LORD’s embrace. It is not God who has moved but him. The LORD encourages him to keep faithful to the words he has been given to speak. Do not abandon his divine mission. He will be attacked but God will be a fortress to him. His life will be preserved. Jeremiah must simply hold on and not give in to the fear of what others might do to him.

This passage points out that the righteous do suffer for doing righteousness. Living a life of faith does not automatically lead to health, wealth, and prosperity. We will lose our popularity and social standing at times if we remain faithful to God. We will feel at times that the presence of the Lord is far from us. Yet, the reality is that He is our fortress and strength. His word provides guidance, challenge, and comfort. Like Jeremiah we must remain faithful even when we are persecuted for righteousness sake.


Christological: Jeremiah is a shadow of Christ. He is the suffering servant. He is rejected by the nation he has come to save. He will suffer great psychological pain even as Jesus did in the garden of Gethsemane. It is thought that Jeremiah was martyred by being cut in two and Christ died for our sins in order to fulfill the redemptive will of God. Here in this man of sorrow we can see our Savior as he weeps over Jerusalem who is addicted to her sins.

Moral: Never abandon doing God’s will due to social pressure or persecution. Do not allow depression to keep you from being faithful.

Eternal: In the fully manifested kingdom of heaven all the wicked and cruel plans of sinful people to hurt us will be forever stopped. We will be in total safety and joy. Our fortress from harm for all eternity will be the eternal LORD himself! We will have 100% security forever. We will not be condemned by God or humanity. Instead we will live in an environment of praise, worship, and acceptance forever and forever. Amen.

Prayer: Lord keep me from being unfaithful due to the fear of other people or failure. Give me a stronger faith and an enduring spirit.

Contemplation: I am with you always

Action; Where do I need to speak boldly God’s word into my world today?

No comments: