Thursday, August 21, 2008

Genesis 45 - Purpose Behind Pain

Reading

Genesis 45

3 And Joseph said to his brothers, "I am Joseph! Is my father still alive?" But his brothers could not answer him, for they were dismayed at his presence. 4 So Joseph said to his brothers, "Come near to me, please." And they came near. And he said, "I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. 5 And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life.

Meditation

Literal: Joseph here is showing great mercy and insight as he reveals his survival and blessing to his brothers who wished him dead. Joseph was a man rejected by his brothers, sold into slavery, falsely accused of rape, put into prison, and then exalted to the right hand of Pharaoh. He could just as easily interpret his brothers coming to him as an opportunity for vengeance as for mercy. Joseph never lost love for his family even when they abused him. This is amazing. He does test their hearts but his heart is focused on reconciliation. He has seen in God’s hand behind all of his hardships. He has seen purpose in his pain.

Christocentric: Joseph is a figure of Christ. Prophesied to be an anointed leader to whom his brothers would bow, rejected by his brothers, figuratively sacrificed in the dipping of the coat of many colors in animal blood, treated as a sinner though righteous, buried in prison, and raised up to glory. Here is the gospel in the Old Testament. Christ also forgives us though we were those who betrayed him because it was God’s will that He suffer and pay the price of our redemption. King Jesus now receives us back by grace though we deserve His wrath. Jesus is the fulfillment of all that Joseph reflected.

Moral: We are to trust that God is working all things together for good. We are to see behind events and allow this to govern our anger and desire for revenge. We are to love our enemy and treat them kindly since this is the only way to overcome evil. By doing this we imitate the gospel and reflect the truth of God in our lives.

Eternal: There will be a day when we will hear “You are forgiven” by our Lord Jesus Christ and we will be given a heavenly view of our whole history. We will see how God was at work in our most painful times to bring good to others and develop our character. We will see the full plan of God revealed and then the pain will make sense for we will be able to connect all the dots and see the wisdom behind all of Gods’ plans. This reality should help us trust God today even when we are in the dark about his plans.




Prayer: Dear Lord, help me trust you when bad things happen. Forgive me for murmuring and pouting. Give me greater faith in your plan. Help me understand more deeply what it means to have your favor. Grant me wisdom in understanding the losses and struggles we have in life. Lord have mercy on me. Lord have mercy on my family. Lord have mercy on the ministry. Lord guide us with your wisdom.

Contemplation: Trust in me with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding

Act: Today I will look to see God’s hand in the midst of my opportunities and trials. I will attempt to look on my life through Joseph’s eyes and see God’s plan in all that happens. Lord give me wisdom. Help me live a wise life. I will seek to acknowledge and trust in God presence and power today.

No comments: