Thursday, August 28, 2008

Isaiah 51 - Hope in the middle of trouble

Reading

NLT Isaiah 51:1 "Listen to me, all who hope for deliverance-- all who seek the LORD! Consider the quarry from which you were mined, the rock from which you were cut! 2 Yes, think about your ancestors Abraham and Sarah, from whom you came. Abraham was alone when I called him. But when I blessed him, he became a great nation." 3 The LORD will comfort Israel again and make her deserts blossom. Her barren wilderness will become as beautiful as Eden-- the garden of the LORD. Joy and gladness will be found there. Lovely songs of thanksgiving will fill the air. 4 "Listen to me, my people. Hear me, Israel, for my law will be proclaimed, and my justice will become a light to the nations. 5 My mercy and justice are coming soon. Your salvation is on the way. I will rule the nations. They will wait for me and long for my power. 6 Look up to the skies above, and gaze down on the earth beneath. For the skies will disappear like smoke, and the earth will wear out like a piece of clothing. The people of the earth will die like flies, but my salvation lasts forever. My righteous rule will never end!

Meditation:

Literal Interpretation:

This was written to give Israel hope of a future redemption even though in the present they were faced with devastation and judgment because of their sins. The LORD is assuring his people that the promises given to Abraham that his descendents would be inherit the world would yet be kept. The Kingdom of God will be established and fill the earth.

This passage breaks into the following parts

I. Listen and Consider (1)
II. Abraham began without hope of family and ended up with a great nation (2)
III. Therefore: Israel who now seems without hope with become great again (3)
IV. Listen & Hear – (4a)
V. I will bless all nations thru Abraham’s children (4b)
VI. The Kingdom of God is coming soon! (5)
VII. Look! Creation will wear out but my Kingdom will never end! (6)

The point God is making is this. Prophecy has a practical purpose. To keep us from getting discouraged or defeated! Rough times come but God’s purposes cannot fail! You and I are part of something huge. We are part of the LORD’s kingdom which cannot fail will never end! Remember you are part of the kingdom that cannot be defeated! Use that to help you have courage to face the battles of today!

Christocentric perspective: This passage is soaked in promises of the Messiah and the extension of the gospel throughout the world. Christ is the fulfillment of all the promises given to Abraham (Romans 4). The word for “law” here can also be translated “teaching” and could easily refer to the spread of the gospel to all nations. Clearly, the purpose of the LORD was to bless all nations thru Jesus even in the Old Testament. The fact that such bold affirmation of the great commission was proclaimed in Isaiah’s day should give us confidence of the reality of all that Christ Jesus claims to be! It also tells us the importance of seeking to fulfill the great commission in our lives today!

Moral perspective: This passage would tell us to “Listen, Consider, Hear, and Look” at the promises of God found in the gospel. We are to fight the discouragement we feel when trouble and trial come by focusing on the good news of God assurances that evil, error, abuse, and attacks will not be the final word of human history. We are to find courage to live a faithful life by reminding ourselves that God is faithful!

Eternal perspective: This passage gives us a vision of a perfect kingdom of justice, order, paradise, Eden, prosperity, joy, happiness, lovely songs, and thanksgiving. This is our future and destiny because Christ has died for our sins. A perfect kingdom of peace, righteousness, and joy! The struggles of this life will seem small in light of the glory found in this final and eternal kingdom of the LORD.


Prayer: Our Father, who art in heaven, may your name be glorified! Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven! LORD, encourage my heart today by reminding me of your kingdom promises!

Contemplation: Come unto me all you who are heavy laden and I will give you rest!


Action: Preach the gospel to myself today! Seek to preach the gospel to others today! Seek to know joy in the gospel today!

No comments: